Let’s be honest here, naturally rosy lips add oodles of oomph to a woman’s face.
Don’t you dare deny it!
There’s just something so very appealing about a healthy, glowing pink pout that doesn’t require any painstaking lipstick application or tinted chapstick for concealment.
If you’ve ever wondered whom to curse for pigmented lips, it’s not only genetics, sister. Several factors such as smoking, caffeine, age, and harmful UV rays from the sun can have a negative impact on our lips, causing them to go unattractively darker. Fortunately, you can reclaim that rosy youth again – literally. The following are five natural and easy-on-the-wallet homemade remedies that will lighten your lips and get you the picture perfect rosy pout of your dreams!
You’re so welcome.
1. Make Your Very Own Berry Balm
Raspberries and strawberries don’t only stimulate your taste buds, they also possess the ability to make your lips glow! Most beauty gurus cite berries as the most effective homemade remedy to lighten pigmented, darker lips. Berries are rich in vital minerals and vitamins, which are considered crucial in regards to keeping our lips healthy and vibrant.
How To Use
- Make a strawberry lip balm using Vaseline! Puree your strawberries until you’re able to extract the juice. Then, mix the strawberry juice with some petroleum jelly in a 1:2 ratio. For best results, apply daily.
- Or, mix the juice of raspberries with some honey and aloe vera. Once prepared, apply this paste on your lips and leave it on. After a minimum of 10 minutes, rinse your lips with lukewarm water. Repeat this treatment 3 to 4 times per week for rosy, beautiful lips.
2. Sweeten Those Lips With Honey
When it comes to the world of superfoods, honey is the indisputable king.
It has a myriad of benefits, yet hardly anybody is aware that it also has the ability to soften and lighten pigmented lips. Bonus? This veritable liquid gold is also super moisturizing, and hence can simultaneously combat chapped lips.
How To Use
- Go old school and simply apply honey directly. Ensure that you never forget to coat your lips with 1 tsp of honey every night before you head off to bed. Rinse off the coating the next morning.
- Alternatively, you could also make a paste of honey, gram flour, and yogurt in a 1:1:1 ratio. Apply this paste on to your lips and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Then, rinse away using lukewarm water.
3. Soak In The Goodness Of Olive Oil
Oils can also help you attain that lighter, rosier pout of your dreams! And out of all the oils available in your kitchen, olive oil is universally acknowledged as the best remedy. Packed with oleic acid and the goodness of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, olive oil can help nurture and soften your lips, making them lush and lighter.
How To Use
- For healthier and pinker lips, massage your lips daily with some extra virgin olive oil right before heading to bed.
- Alternatively, you could also enrich the olive oil by making a DIY scrub! Add ½ a tbsp. whole sugar to a few drops of olive oil and use this mixture to gently scrub your lips. Repeat this treatment once every week to see results under a month.
4. When Life Gives You Lemons… Pucker Up!
It is a commonly acknowledged fact that lemons possess a mild bleaching effect – after all, it is the essential ingredient in almost all successful skin and hair lightening treatments. This specific property of lemons makes it a very effective homemade remedy for darker, pigmented lips as well. The acidic nature of lemon juice helps peel the uppermost skin layer off, producing lighter and softer lips!
How To Use
- Apply freshly squeezed lemon juice upon your lips daily before you head for bed. Leave it on overnight, then rinse with lukewarm water the next morning.
- Another great remedy is to make a mixture of honey and glycerin. Mix ½ tsp of lemon juice with ½ tsp of glycerin and ½ tsp of honey. Apply the mixture on the lips and leave it on overnight. Rinse the next morning.
5. Beetroot Juice, The Rosy Pout Superhero
Another great remedy for dark lips is beetroot juice! This vibrantly, rich hued vegetable possesses the capacity to improve the blood circulation to your lips. It also possesses mild bleaching properties; hence, it could help you successfully lighten your lips.
How To Use
- Apply fresh beetroot juice onto your lips every night just as you’re headed to bed. Leave it on overnight, then rinse the next morning. You will see noticeably pinker lips the next morning.
- Alternatively, massage lips with a mixture of beetroot juice and carrot juice in a 1:1 ratio. Massage for a minimum of 10 minutes for 2-3 times per week.
Use these easy-breezy home remedies to lighten lips and attain the pink, rosy pout of your Instagram dreams. Stay beautiful!
Emaan is a voracious and rather indiscriminate reader. She is also a writer, history buff, insomniac, amateur doodle artist, terrible poet and a self-professed philosopher (but only after 3 am). Currently, she is pursuing a degree in medicine.